Late Sir Mathuradas Vissanji was an eminent Industrialist, a Philanthropist, a Doctor of Literature (conferred upon him by the Banaras Hindu University), a member of the Central Assembly, the President of the Indian Merchants Chamber, the list is endless.......without whom this renowned school would never have come into existence. He was the President of the Indian Education Society which runs the King George English School and other schools in Dadar. Being a pioneer educationist in the western suburbs, he founded the Andheri Education Society and started the Madhavdas Amarshi School in 1930.
But his dream to educate the girl child in pre-independent India was not yet fulfilled. Hence, in the year 1946 he sowed the seed by establishing a trust for educating girls. Unfortunately, he could not complete his mission in totality as he passed away on 22-12-1949. His dream was translated into reality by his son Shri Pratapsinh Vissanji. Land for the School was then acquired from a family enterprise. On this land he constructed a spacious school building with sprawling playgrounds & named it “Lady Vissanji Girls Academy” after his beloved mother, Lady Ratanbai Vissanji. The initial framework of a macro vision was thus laid down.
In June 1963, the school was inaugurated by the then Minister of Education Honourable Shri Shantilal Shah, and the inaugural function was presided over by Sir Homi P. Mody (Sr. Director in several Tata Companies, member of the Viceroy’s Executive Council & Governor of UP). And there began a journey of a thousand miles. The School commenced in June 1963 with merely 12 students and 7 teachers in contrast to today’s few thousand students acquiring values of life in this school.
Today, the combined efforts and resolute vision of Mr. Hemant Vissanji and Mrs. Arati Vissanji has seen the academy through many a milestone of success. Since, its inception, Lady Ratanbai & Sir Mathuradas Vissanji Academy stands tall.